We aim to encourage collaboration and embed a knowledge of quality improvement to improve the mortality of emergency abdominal surgery.
Like ELPQuIC, the Collaborative aims to deliver 6 key themes using a care bundle approach, including the involvement of consultant surgeons, anaesthetists and intensivists from the time of the patient presenting to hospital, throughout the patient’s time in the operating theatre and beyond. The bundle elements are:
- Use of an Early Warning Score (EWS) or lactate to identify patients most at risk for deterioration and the delivery of prompt resuscitation for these patients.
- Use of a sepsis screening tool to identify septic patients and treatment with Sepsis Six.
- Definitive surgery within 6 hours of decision to operate for patients categorised as Level 1 and 2a in urgency.
- Appropriate dynamic fluid resuscitation and optimisation using goal-directed fluid therapy.
- Postoperative critical care (Level 2 or 3) for all patients.
- Consultant delivered care throughout the perioperative journey